Sunday 16 June 2013

42nd Highlanders and Scots Greys test paint.

I have completed the 16 figure Highland Battalion, the 42nd foot. I can't tell you how much time I spent on those kilts before going with this simple dark green/blue scheme. I have found that tartans with a distinctive yellow in the pattern are easier to paint in 15mm, but I wanted this to look darker to reflect the 'Government sett'. Overall, it is a speed paint job, but I'm working back to add a few extra details here and there.

I had the two Scots Greys in my old spares box, so I had a test paint in preparation for the full nine figure regiment to come. I'll be going with 3 cavalry to a 'block' so 3 block units for the British and 4 block units (12 figures) for the French. I cannot paint grey horses to save my life so all will be a lighter shade like these.

A British line battalion is undercoated with another to follow.





Edited to add this latest shot of the Swiss battalion - natural light. I'm trying to improve the quality of my images.

4 comments:

  1. Tartan is tough to be sure. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought The Army Painter sold pots of ready-mixed tartan paint? Maybe someone has been puling my leg again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff, these 15mm chaps are turning out splendidly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, and Tony ...... if only!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.