Wednesday 28 September 2016

Soviet Tankovy company for Flames of war.

Bit tight on hobby time again recently but I have been working on pulling together the large number of Russian tank models that I acquired some time ago in readiness for some Flames of War armour based encounters. The models are a mix of old resin/metal models by Battlefront, more recent plastic Battlefront models and some Plastic Soldier Company tanks. They all sit together quite well although I can see some variation in scale but overall not bad at all. I'm still working on final finish and all need varnishing to seal the decals etc but I can play game with them at least. The 20 tanks represent a Regular Tankovy Company (a couple of T34's still have Guards markings) around the time of Kursk. They breakdown as follows:
  • Command: 1st ic T34/85. 2nd ic T34/76
  • 3 platoons each of 4 x T34/76 and 2 upgraded T34/85's.
So twenty T34's in all, in just 3 hefty sized platoons and command tanks! That;s quite a force to be reckoned with on it's own, but I also have a regular infantry platoon of 8 rifle/mg bases and a 3 base HMG platoon in support. The list requires the infantry to be motorised with the addition of 4 captured German half tracks for which I have the models as yet unpainted. Finally for now I have a Sturmovik aircraft, a hefty 200 points but a lovely little model! 

I gave the infantry (Forged in Battle 15mm) a quite fast paint job having first stuck them all down on the plastic FOW bases. They were drybrushed with Vallejo 'Russian uniform' I tried to leave some black areas as shadow to add depth. Highlights were a touch of Ivory mixed with the Russian Uniform. Equipment was varied with Khaki and brown, flesh was picked out with sunny fleshtone alone, I usually paint a basecoat of medium brown, but as the figures do not have exaggerated facial features I went with the single colour for speed although I may redo this later. Base edges painted Flat Earth before texturing with dark flock (so no need to colour the base), and a final addition of static grass to finish them off.  I restocked my static grass last week but for some reason was sent the 10mm version by mistake and I only noticed once it was on the bases, all looked a bit too shaggy. Gave the grass a trim up with my trusty snips. I'm now cutting the stuff down by hand before use until I can get a replacement!

The Sturmovik also got a quick paint job, copied from the HO version I painted for my Bolt Action Soviets. I do like the little flight stands and dice supplied with these lovely little models.

So some pictures, massed T34's on the prowl, with infantry and air support. Still a bit of work to do on the tanks and bases. Need to add the small infantry command bases one the bases arrive from eBay. Germans coming next.















6 comments:

  1. Goodness, but I'd be intimidated seeing that lot across the table versus my own Mid War army (And admittedly crap in general) - 8th Desert British Motor Company! So many armoured hulls....

    They look smashing Lee. Tanks to grab objectives and infantry to hold your own. Just get some [Heavy] Mortars in there for indirect barrages and yer solid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Lee, very imposing looking force!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very steamrollery, 'Lee! Impressive work and no mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic looking soviet force, "For the motherland! "
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. That lot looks like a bit of a nightmare for the Germans - an impressive force!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many thanks for the comments, I'm a big fan of the T34. Can't wait to see how they do against the early Tiger 1 and Stug assault guns.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, it will be published as soon as I have read it in order to avoid spam.